[mythtv-users] NVidia driver giving me grief

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri May 14 14:04:21 UTC 2010

On 05/14/2010 12:56 AM, colin.haubrich at gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks for everyones help. After removing the libraries I got it to re-compile cleanly. Video in 1080 is still choppy on bothe the backend and streaming to my PS3.

This is where the details in the wiki make a difference. When you say
'backend' I presume you mean a BE/FE combination which has the NV280
card we have been dealing with. Or is the NV280 the actual chipset in a
PS3? (I have no idea).

Amd when you say 'compile cleanly' is that on both the main box and the PS3?

> I suspect a new card is require. Will this help the streaming too though? I didn't thin the video card would matter when streaming.

A new card could allow you to move to vdpau on the BE/FE box, but would
make not difference on the PS3 (unless you can add PCI type cards to one
of those, which I did not think was possible).

You have 2 different video setups here with (presumably) different
capabilities.

Usually streaming involves some sort of transcoding to convert the video
stream *at the backend* into something which the frontend can play.

I played with this on my Nokia N810 using this page:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Streaming_with_MythTV

as a guide.
So streaming means doing a transcode, on the fly, and lots of wifi
capability to do it to a Nokia tablet.

Most of that is not necessary with wired PS3. A PS3 has a fair bit of
video power. Probably does not need to receive a transcoded file. You
haven't mentioned it, so I presume you are using an plain file. You
probably want/need to have xvmc enabled on the PS3 too, whether you are
using mplayer or vlc. But if you just set up the PS3 as a frontend (no
streaming) then transcoding etc. is not necessary. Just set up the myth
frontend to the proper capabilities. It will get the file from the BE
box and display it, properly formatted.

Streaming is great for playing on underpowered display frontends, but it
moves the GPU-power requirement to the backend box. I don't think you
need to do that.

Geoff