[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun like device for analog?

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Fri May 14 14:48:43 UTC 2010

> If you use a standard PCI card, be aware that the PCI bus may become a
> bottleneck under some circumstances. If you are playing back something that
> VDPAU can't help with (feature set "B" only helps with MPEG2 and h264, feature
> set "C" can do more, like VC-1, I think), you may have to move more data than
> the bus can cope with, especially if you are using multiple PCI capture
> devices at the same time.
>
> So the PCI VDPAU cards work fine, as long as you are using VDPAU, but if you're
> not, it's just a slow old video card. VC-1 HD with a feature set "B" card, for
> example, might be problematical.
>
> I see someone pointed you to the WiKi for info on VDPAU-capable cards.
>
> "VDPAU" is a term you're likely to hear only from Linux users, not the
> Windows-centric gamers who run and write reviews for N/E.

In my case I would be replacing a GeForce FX 5200 with a vdpau PCI card
in a frontend only machine. Possibly this card based on the wiki?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187041

Being a frontend only for watching recordings, there wouldn't be any
other capture devices going at the same time. I would want to watch HD
and analog recordings, all still MPEG2 based.

The HD recordings would be done by my backend machine using an HDHomeRun
as the source. So I assume they would be MPEG2. Analog would still be
done with my PVR150/250/350's.

That's if I understood you correctly.

Like you said, based on what I've read on VDPAU I can see why it's not
even a mention on sites like newegg.

Thanks,
James