[mythtv-users] RFE: new event for the events framework: missed recording

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri May 14 15:12:46 UTC 2010

On 05/14/2010 07:24 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 10:03 +1000, Chris Adams wrote:
>
>> Have you got logs of the backend when past recordings failed?
>> Perhaps you could run
>> tail -f|egrep "(something_bad|something_else_bad)"|while read d; do
>> <mailcommand>  --subject "Bad log line" --text "$d" --dest
>> "my at email.com"; done
>>
> Sure, for some form of delayed notification.  That also assumes I can
> predict what "something_bad|something_else_bad" would need to be to
> handle all cases.
>
> I really think simply having an event would be much easier and much more
> flexible in terms of allowing the user to decide what he/she wants to do
> when a recording does fail.  Of course, conflicts are the most obvious
> reason for failure, but others could be more subtle.
>
> Of course, details of what failed would need to be included, such as
> Title, Sub-title, date/time, channel perhaps, etc.

We're not saying it wouldn't be useful.  We're simply saying that since
it doesn't exist, your options now are pretty much to do something else
or to write the code.  And, really, adding new event is not that tough.
See http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/24278 .

But, if you just want to add a feature request, there's a wiki page for
that: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Feature_Wishlist

Mike