[mythtv-users] Getting a correct lineup for DishNetwork

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri May 14 21:03:30 UTC 2010

On 05/14/2010 04:53 PM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:

> Thanks Mike for your replies..  OK I guess this is going to have to be
> done in small baby steps it seems... I think I figured out the correct
> lineup to use at SchedulesDirect, they kinda mislabeled it changing
> the name from DishNetwork to just Dish which is confusing. But the
> channels do appear to be close to what I actually get and include the
> locals.  So I again went through mythtvsetup and retrieved the linup
> and refetched the channels from the listing source. I also went into
> the Channel Editor and told it to download the icons, which it did a
> fair job of doing. After exiting mythtvsetup I reran mythfilldatabase.
> Up to this point everything seems to have worked ok....
>
> Upon restarting mythfrontend, I selected Watch TV, brought up the
> onscreen menu and selected Program Guide. And hit another hiccup! It
> took quite a few seconds before the Program Guide would even display,
> and the responses to keyboard input is extremely slow! Anywhere from 5
> to 30 seconds it seems most of the time, with occasional responses as
> long as 2 or 3 minutes! Also I am now seeing the channels for my local
> stations, but "Unknown (Unknown)" is shown for all the local program
> listings. And none of the icons are showing up as I would have
> expected. (Note: responsiveness outside of the Program Guide seems to
> be fine, from what limited testing I have done so far...)
>
> Rebooting, restarting the mythbackend, and mythfrontend does not fix
> this problem.  Anyone got any idea as to what is wrong? I looked at
> top and cannot see any process chewing up the processor usage either.

At this point, your previous configuration of the system with the wrong
lineup left some garbage which is causing problems.

You should do the video sources portion of
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 to
clean up all the garbage and then when you reconfigure (with the
knowledge you've gained in the "practice runs" :), all will work fine.

Make sure you use the approach specified there.  Other approaches to
delete old stuff will leave garbage (that will likely break things).

The slow response may be due to an overloaded processor (since using
HD-PVR can result in very hard-to-decode video), but see what
reconfiguring as above does, before worrying about that.

Mike