[mythtv-users] Problems with vdpau decoding HD content

Scott list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc
Sat May 15 18:42:03 UTC 2010

On May 14, 2010, at 6:22 PM, Scott wrote:

> On May 14, 2010, at 6:19 PM, Brent Bolin wrote:
>
>> The temps you have been posting seem VERY HOT.  My Zotac dual core 330
>> run at a max of 60 and about 30 when idle.  Thats using the stock fan
>> shipped with the MB.  80X80X10
>

> Yeah, I think I'm going to have to open this up and see if the fan is working properly. I'm not 100% the heat is the source of my problem but I do agree it needs to be resolved.

So, the fans are working proper and I set BIOS to use max fan speed. Idle temps are now down at 62c and during 720/1080i playback at 75c. I'm not seeing any trace of a problem with VDPAU and video skips any more. So it appears that a heat issue of the GPU was causing a problem. When it reached about 90c video playback problems appeared.

My equipment is located in a closet off the main room. This is great for keeping electronics out of sight and not worrying about fan noise. The closet has a fully vented door into the hallway. In the closet where the FE is located there is an A/V receiver, PS3, multi-room amp, and dtv DVR. For FE playback the DVR, FE, and A/V receiver are on. The receiver generates a large amount of heat directly below the FE which was drawing hot air into it for cooling. The vents on the front of the door are enough to passively reduce the temperatures in the closet in this case.

A temporary solution of leaving the closet door open when using the FE resolved the problem. Likely an active cooling system will be needed to work with the door closed.

Thanks for all the help in isolating the problem.

--
Scott