[mythtv-users] VDPAU Error: Failed to create output surface on acer (revo) 1600

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Sun May 16 18:12:47 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 13:22 -0400, David Asher wrote:

> Unless the BIOS says it does, it probably doesn't.  Xorg and the driver always seem to report 512MB.

~sigh~  What exactly is the problem with honesty, vendors?

> The US version of the Revo 1600 comes with 1GB of system memory,

Right.  Which should be ass-loads for a FE only machine.  I run my FE/BE
with 3 tuners on 512MB of memory (plus some swap -- not 512MB though).

> which defaults to 128MB of video RAM.

Damnit!

> You can, in the BIOS, up that to 256MB -- which makes you work marginally.

"Marginally" sounds like a (near even) future-limiting option.  :-(
i.e. works today, but not tomorrow (almost literally).

> But to get real stable playback I've added an extra 1GB stick to get 2GB total memory.

That's a rather annoying waste.  A FE really does not need 2GB of RAM.
Not even half of that.  To have to put even more money into this thing
just to get stable video out is frustrating.  My other option at the
time of purchase was a simple, $50 video card for the existing FE/BE.
Adding $200 to that to get the Revo was sting enough.  To have to throw
another $30+ into this thing...

Not to mention, opening it up to add memory sounds like a warranty
voiding procedure, too.

> The extra 1GB seemed necessary for me anyway.  1GB - 256MB video memory meant only 768MB free for running everything else.

That really should be way enough if I measure by my existing FE/BE.

> With the Mythbuntu theme and the fancy fanart, I quickly ran out of memory.

Well, I use mythcentre and I don't think I use fancy fanart, so maybe
that's the difference.

> Since I was PXE booting with no swap enabled, horrible things happened.

Yeah, for the moment at least, I am PXE booting too.  At least until I
have decided I am not just going to return this unit as "unhappy".

Thanx much for the info though, I do appreciate it.  I know you are just
the messenger.

b.