[mythtv-users] VDPAU Error: Failed to create output surface on acer (revo) 1600

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Sun May 16 18:47:43 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 13:22 -0400, David Asher wrote:
>>
>> Unless the BIOS says it does, it probably doesn't.  Xorg and the driver always seem to report 512MB.
>
> ~sigh~  What exactly is the problem with honesty, vendors?
>
>> The US version of the Revo 1600 comes with 1GB of system memory,
>
> Right.  Which should be ass-loads for a FE only machine.  I run my FE/BE
> with 3 tuners on 512MB of memory (plus some swap -- not 512MB though).
>
>> which defaults to 128MB of video RAM.
>
> Damnit!
>
>> You can, in the BIOS, up that to 256MB -- which makes you work marginally.
>
> "Marginally" sounds like a (near even) future-limiting option.  :-(
> i.e. works today, but not tomorrow (almost literally).
>
>> But to get real stable playback I've added an extra 1GB stick to get 2GB total memory.
>
> That's a rather annoying waste.

When doing basic initial research on the Revo as a frontend I ran
across http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU which mentions the need for
512. I was thrown off by the driver module output saying it had 512 of
ram when I knew it didn't (before i added my second stick of ram) but
another quick search returned info on the nVidia driver forums saying
that this is the case. If it were a truely open source driver I'm sure
one of us would have amended that by now.

 A FE really does not need 2GB of RAM.
> Not even half of that.  To have to put even more money into this thing
> just to get stable video out is frustrating.  My other option at the
> time of purchase was a simple, $50 video card for the existing FE/BE.
> Adding $200 to that to get the Revo was sting enough.  To have to throw
> another $30+ into this thing...

Um - $200 for the Revo plus ~$35 for the ram = still alot less than
you can build a lightweight frontend system for, unless you're working
a lot harder at it than I am.

> Not to mention, opening it up to add memory sounds like a warranty
> voiding procedure, too.

It's actually really easy to open the Revo - check google and youtube
for walk throughs on it. I don't think adding ram is going to void
your warranty. If you're worried call Acer support and ask.

The ram for the acer is pretty cheap - if you'll search the archives
of this list you will find we've discussed it before.

>> The extra 1GB seemed necessary for me anyway.  1GB - 256MB video memory meant only 768MB free for running everything else.
>
> That really should be way enough if I measure by my existing FE/BE.
>
>> With the Mythbuntu theme and the fancy fanart, I quickly ran out of memory.
>
> Well, I use mythcentre and I don't think I use fancy fanart, so maybe
> that's the difference.

You need to add that second stick of ram so the acer can allocate
256mb from each stick making 512mb which is how this unit works.