[mythtv-users] VDPAU Error: Failed to create output surface on acer (revo) 1600

David Asher asherml at gmail.com
Sun May 16 23:12:26 UTC 2010

On May 16, 2010, at 5:05 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 15:03 -0400, David Asher wrote:
>>
>> So, I didn't test it extensively since i was always planning to added the extra 1GB, but I believe it was temporal 2x on 1080i that was a little iffy, and high bitrate h.264.
>
> Seems that "VDPAU Slim" with SD MPEG2 (i.e. from a Hauppage PVR card)
> plays decently with only 256M of video memory.  :-/
>
>> If you leave the hard drive in and use it as swap you might be able to get by with Mythcenter.
>
> Yeah, most definitely.  If I decide I am happy with it, the HDD will get
> the O/S on it too, anyway.
>
> One thing I have also noticed about the nVidia out on the revo is that
> the colors are "intense".  i.e. Reds are really red.  Way more so than
> the FX5200 in the existing BE/FE machine.  Reds are in fact way too red.
> Other colors could be just as intense, but the reds are the most
> noticeable.
>
> But this seems to be coupled with my TV.  My TV has a "use DVI connected
> computers with this" HDMI input as well as 2 other more typical HDMI
> inputs.
>
> The difference between the HDMI that has been especially designated for
> DVI->HDMI from computers and the other two is that a) it does not
> overscan and b) it does not process any input that might be on the HDMI
> input but instead has an analog input for use with that HDMI input.
>
> Anyway, the "really red" picture is only a factor when I plug the revo
> into one of the "real" HDMI inputs.  When I plug it into the DVI/HDMI
> input, the colors look a lot better.

If you're using the "real" HDMI input (not for PCs), then perhaps you should make sure the vdpaucolorspace and vdpaustudio "filters" are set correctly in "VDPAU Slim".  Or play with them and figure out what you like best.  Sounds like the TV and the MythTV might be thinking at odds.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU#Filters

David.