[mythtv-users] No GUID showing up in Firewire capture card setup

Bob Shanteau rmshant at gmail.com
Mon May 17 05:27:13 UTC 2010

Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 12:08 AM, Bob Shanteau <rmshant at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I just tried installing the Startech card on the old FIC AU13
>> motherboard and it works with MythTV!
>
> Whoa, wait, holy crap, is that an *onboard* firewire port?

No, I disabled the onboard Firewire port and was using only the port on
the Startech card.

>> ... and I just bought a MicroStar K9N6PGM2-V2 microATX DDR2 Athlon64 motherboard with PCIe video for use with a small horizontal case for my home theater setup. But at least now I know how Firewire is supposed to work with MythTV. I suppose I will have to try some Firewire cards in the new MicroStar motherboard until I find one that works with MythTV.
>>

> Just got this board myself:
>
> <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128394>

Actually, that's a Gigabyte motherboard, not the MicroStar motherboard
I'm using.

> As for reliable add-on cards, I've yet to see a card with an Agere FW323 controller on it that didn't work ...

Thanks for the advice on Firewire cards that work with Linux, but I once
read that some PCI cards are sensitive to which slot in which they are
inserted, so I decided to try the Startech Firewire card in the other
PCI slot on my MicroStar motherboard (the one closest to the graphics
card) and it works fine. I was reluctant to use that slot because the
pins protruding from the back of the PCI card interfered with the fan on
the graphics card, so I used flush nippers to cut off the pins and, voila!

So it appears that the problem was a combination of the PCI
architecture, the Startech card, and Linux, and all it took was screwing
around for several days with different combinations until I happened to
hit on one that worked. That's why I love PCs. (NOT!)

What I did then was to configure Schedules Direct for all the channels I
can get on my DCH3200 and create a new Video Source name. I specified
that new Video Source in Input Connections for the Firewire card and
clicked on Fetch Channels From Listing Source. I am still using a TV
capture card for the clear QAM channels, so that resulted in a lot of
duplicate channels. Once I entered the same XLMTV ID, channel name and
callsign for the duplicate channels, though, MythTV appeared to be happy.

The only thing left to figure out is how to tell MythTV which input
source to use to record a particular program, e.g., when I want the HD
version of a program that is only being broadcast on the DCH3200.

Bob Shanteau