[mythtv-users] Mysql permissions problem

Michael Tiller michael.tiller at gmail.com
Tue May 18 11:57:46 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 7:00 AM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>wrote:

> Note that 0.0.0.0 translates to 0.0.0.0/32, ie a single address. To make
> sure, you should specify 0.0.0.0/0 to ensure you cover the whole address
> space (which I assume is what you want).
>
> Some software assumes 0.0.0.0 without subnet bits is everything, some
> doesn't. Best way is to be explicit.

As far as I can tell, "bind-address=0.0.0.0/0" is not allowed.  Any attempt
to start the server hangs for me if I put that in there.  Changing it back
to "bind-address=0.0.0.0" doesn't have the same problem.

Besides, I don't think that is the issue.  The connection is not refused,
access is simply being denied.

Is there some way to get MySQL to spit out some kind of explanation in the
log files?  The only thing I could find was an option to log queries and/or
slow queries.  What I want is a log entry that says something like "User
mythtv attempted to login from host ___, access from that host is not
allowed" or something.  I can't figure out whether this is an issue with the
host pattern somehow or whether there is something going on where it is
doing a reverse name lookup or something that confuses the issue.  I figured
by using IP I'd be safe but I'm not 100% sure.

--
Mike