[mythtv-users] Poll: best OS for an HTPC

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Tue May 18 16:18:20 UTC 2010

On 5/18/2010 10:15 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 May 2010 08:25:23 am jedi wrote:
>> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 07:12:59PM -0400, Patrick Davila wrote:
>>> Poll - Let Geektonic know that you prefer Linux as the OS of your choice
>>> for your HTPC: http://is.gd/cdLUo
>>
>>      The Deal of the day there is interesting on a number of levels...
>
> Do you mean the HDHR for $99? That's the best price I've ever seen (for the
> dual-tuner unit). It's about half what I paid for mine (if you include
> shipping), but of course I ordered when they first came out.
>
> Of course such polls are "entertainment", not science or research in any way.
> The site itself is more likely to attract Linux users than anything else, and
> many Windows Weenies might be vague on precisely what "HTPC" might mean.
>
> I agree that splitting the Windows users up by version, while leaving "Linux"
> as one monolithic block, makes no sense, unless you are trying to get "Linux"
> to come out on top.

That's because it was possibly written by a non-linux oriented person.

Most people I know deal with computers on that kind of level because they are most familiar with Windows.

They don't know there is more than one kind of OS from Apple (older MacOS and OS X).
Or that Linux runs on Mac.

Or that Unix is actually broken up into lots of flavors as is Linux.

To them, it IS monolithic except for Windows and all it's flavors.

Kinda sad.

Is there any guesstimate as to how many MythTV installs are running out there?

  -Ben

--
Ben Kamen - O.D.T., S.P.
Home: ben at benjammin.net                       http://www.benjammin.net

'fortune' says:
If your next pot of chili tastes better, it probably is
because of something left out, rather than added.