[mythtv-users] Plugin framework?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed May 19 03:07:47 UTC 2010

The existing python bindings are intended to provide canned access to
the database and backend protocol.  They are not intended to help with
any sort of GUI, nor should they in my opinion.  They should be left for
use with external scripts.  You've got a couple options from here:
  - You can add custom menu entries, in 'fire and forget' fashion.  You
would trigger the script, and get nothing back in response.
  - You could add a status information script
(http://mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Miscellaneous_Status_Information_Scripts)
which would be viewable from the backend status page, and I believe the
info center in the frontend.
  - You could set up some webpage, and access it through MythBrowser.

In order to write full plugins in Python or Perl or some other language,
you would have to write a meta-plugin, which included an interpreter,
read a list of pre-defined files, or maybe all files in a directory, and
registered them as independent plugins.  There was an attempt to do this
with Python a couple years back, but it seems to have fizzled without
any released files.  I've considered doing something like this in the
past couple months, but such a thing would be far from trivial, and
should be considered a very long term possibility.