[mythtv-users] Low-power/energy-efficient SD backend/server

Vitani vitani-mythtv at tfxsoft.com
Wed May 19 10:14:27 UTC 2010

Good morning all,

I'm currently using a full-blown 2.8GHz P4 (with HT) for my backend, but
it's costing waaay too much to keep that running 24/7 (and it sounds like
the inside of an aeroplane in our living room!). I was wondering if anyone
here had any recommendations on what I should replace it with?

Things I use the backend for:
- Recording 1-3 SD programs simultaneously from a PCI Nova T500 (Dual tuner)
- Sharing those recordings, plus other videos, music & pictures using Samba
(my frontends are Xboxes running XBMC)
- Mythweb & Webmin
- Transmission torrent client

Things I *don't* do:
- Transcoding or comm flagging
- Live TV
- HDTV

I've done a bit of Googling, but all the site/thread/posts I find are 2 or
more years old, and thus are pretty irrelevant (or are they?). I'm happy to
build my own box from scratch, or use something pre-built.

Thanks!
Vitani