[mythtv-users] S-video again

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Thu May 20 06:15:01 UTC 2010

Just wanted to correct myself on my previous post.

faginbagin wrote:
<snip>
> One of these days, I may try to do what Mike Perkins has suggested. I
> wouldn't be surprised the the Panasonic's hard drive file system looks
> more like DVD-VR than something more familiar, like VFAT or NTFS or some
> Linux file system type. So I suspect my best bet will be to transfer a
> DVD's worth of recordings at a time. I actually hope it is DVD-VR
> because I can use the dvd-vr ripper, which can read some of the
> recording metadata, like title and date-time of recording, which I can
> then use to give meaningful file names to the copied recordings. I
> suspect the safest bet will be to copy a DVD's worth of recordings at a
> time, and I plan to use DVD-RAM and the dvd-vr ripper to do the job.

DVD-VR is a file format, not a file SYSTEM format. So the PVR hard drive's file system would need to be recognizable to Linux, e.g. VFAT, NTFS, ext2, ext3 ... Once mounted, DVD-VR files would be recognizable because they use file extensions like .IFO and .VRO. They would not have .mpg extensions. mplayer can sort of play .VRO files because they are MPEG2, but the time stamps are discontinuous, indicating breaks between recordings. And that makes it hard for players and video editors to understand them. That's why you need something like the dvd-vr ripper which understands the metadata in the .IFO files which tells it where to cut the .VRO files into manageable .mpg files.

HTH,
Helen