[mythtv-users] advice on sound card S/PDIF

Jelte Veldstra jelte.veldstra at gmail.com
Thu May 20 11:06:45 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Nicola Bortolotti <
bortolotti.nicola at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> can anyone give me an advice on not too expensive pci sound card with
> s/pdif output?
>
> I need to connect it to home theatre input (no it is connected to AUX and
> there is a lot of noise when volume is high-pitched)
> If possible, I'd like:
> - pci interface;
> - well linux and myth supported (I'm not too skill..), so if my system will
> recognize it without bring me crazy, I'll prefer..;
> - without fan (only heat sink);
> - cheap;
> Moreover, I'm from Italy, any council about where acquire it (I don't know:
> consolidated e-commerce, ebay or what else..)
>
> Thank you very much,
> Best regards,
>    Nicola

For me the SoundBlaster 1024 Live (emu10k1 based) worked really well. It
"just worked". Don't think they're produced anymore, but can be had second
hand for a few euros. The only thing worth noting is that you have to create
a cable with a RCA connector on one end (to plug in the AV receiver) and a
mono 3.5mm jack plug on the other end to plug in the soundcard.