[mythtv-users] IPad and mythtv.

Scott Alfter scott at alfter.us
Thu May 20 16:40:09 UTC 2010

On 20 May 10 04:19, Christopher Kerr wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 8:14 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Has anyone started any work on porting mythtv to the iPad?
>
> Not as far as I know, but in the interim, you can get some useful
> functionality by combining the Air Video app with Mythlink. The PC
> server side takes a bit of effort to set up on linux (the Windows and
> Mac versions are easy), and it takes some fairly powerful hardware to
> transcode to H264 in realtime, but it works quite nicely.

I just knocked together some shell scripts that transcode recordings and dump
them onto a NAS box that serves them up over HTTP or UPnP.  I can view these
recordings on my iPhone with either Safari or PlugPlayer; an iPad should offer
similar functionality.  I have all recordings transcoded for streaming over the
LAN automatically, so that the iPhone can serve as a "poor man's frontend" (in
the sense that I already have one and don't need to buy more hardware) for an
old non-HD CRT TV.  I can also select a recording for lower-bitrate transcoding
that can be streamed over 3G.  None of these are real-time processes, but if
there's not much of a backlog, the recordings are available within a couple
hours or so of a recording's completion.

I had been thinking of bundling them up and making them available...if there's
interest, I can look into the matter more seriously.  There are also some
scripts that distribute transcoding jobs to other machines on the LAN.

Scott Alfter
scott at alfter.us