[mythtv-users] IPad and mythtv.

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu May 20 18:07:03 UTC 2010

On Thursday 20 May 2010 10:51:37 am Gabe Rubin wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > On Thursday 20 May 2010 10:40:09 am Scott Alfter wrote:
> >>  so that the iPhone can serve as
> >>  a "poor man's frontend" (in the sense that I already have one and don't
> >>  need to buy more hardware) for an old non-HD CRT TV.
> >
> > Interesting logic. A $500+ device can serve as a "Poor Man's" device that
> > normally can be had for $200 or less.
> >
> > But I know what you meant :-)
> >
> > Or perhaps you meant that I would be a "Poor Man" after buying an iPhone?
> >
> > I've stayed away from the iPhone since there is virtually no coverage for
> > it in my state.
>
> Show me an all-in-one device with a touch screen and everything
> integrated that has the potential (potential being the key word) to be
> a myth frontend for around $500 or less.

Myth is not really designed for touch screens, so that's the part that would
be problematical, but I think many older laptops might be able to do what you
mention, for well under $500, at least for SD, as could at least some of the
Netbooks out there.

Most "Tablet" style machines could do it, and some used ones are available for
under $500.

Maybe I'll try it with my old Newton 150?

The Maemo devices (Nokias?) might be candidates as well.