[mythtv-users] Configure backend in command line

Ajay Sharma ajayrockrock at gmail.com
Thu May 20 20:00:07 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/5/20 Travis Tabbal <travis at tabbal.net>:

> >> mythtv-setup requires a GUI but does not require the GUI to be local. I
> >> run it over an ssh connection from a computer with X installed (including
> >> Windows boxes with cygwin/x).
> >

> > VNC works as well, that's how I set up my last backend only machine. I
> > already have the client installed on the Windows box I was using at the time
> > and the server was faster to install than it would be to install cygwin/x.
> > :)
>
> So, how can I setup the backend from SSH?
>
> I don't understand the reason to configure the backen with a GUI.
>
> Thanks and regards.

Please don't top-post.

First, can you ssh from your desktop to your myth box?  If not then
you first need to figure out how to get sshd running.  It's pretty
easy so google will be your friend.

Second, once you're able to "ssh my.myth.box" from your desktop, then
all you have to do is add the -X parameter to ssh:

ssh -X my.myth.box

Once you've logged in you might have to "su -" to root or the user
that mythtv is running under and then run "mythtv-setup".  And the gui
will show up on your desktop.

This is a problem that the devs have talked about before and I believe
the plan is to bundle a small http server inside of the backend and
then configure it through the web instead of the GUI.  But don't quote
me on that as I'm not a dev.

--Ajay