[mythtv-users] MythNetvision

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri May 21 00:27:44 UTC 2010

On 5/20/2010 19:57, Glen Hawksworth wrote:
> MythTV is primarily about watching recorded TV rather than live, isn't MythNetvision like watching live from the web?

The MythTV core is about being able to record scheduled content, so you
can watch it at your leisure.  On demand content and web streaming can
already be watched whenever you want already, why do you need to record
it for later use?

> However with networks making full TV episodes available online I feel it makes more sense to treat the video exactly the same as a TV transmission.

Those networks which make full TV shows available online generally have
restrictive terms of service contracts, which only allow playback
through their official player.  That means the user is not allowed to
download it independently for offline storage.  Rather than simply
ignore that, MythTV intends to comply with such restrictions, which is
why MythNetvision is designed as it is.  That's the only way we can
legally access the content.

For those websites with less restrictive use policies, MythNetvision
offers the ability to download content to local storage.