[mythtv-users] MythNetvision

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Fri May 21 03:55:52 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 8:23 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-20 at 20:41 -0400, Doug Vaughan wrote:
>> Having written most of the scripts that get content for the
>> MythtvNetvision plug-in I feel you are underestimating the legal and
>> technical issues in what you propose. All but a few sites restrict
>> downloading their content.
>
> Arguably "watching" is "downloading".  It's a very fine line and I am
> sure content providers would love to dictate exactly how you watch their
> content.  Big Media also wanted to dictate how you would watch content
> when "recording" and "timeshifting" their content first because possible
> with VCRs.  We all know how that turned out.  Big Media didn't get their
> way because people were willing to push back and not just lie down and
> take whatever Big Media wanted to dictate to them.
>
>> A lot of the prime content such as TV
>> episodes are only allowed to be streamed
>
> Streamed right to my HDD.  I am complying.  :-)
>
>> and then only in specific
>> countries.
>
> Yeah.  I know all about that one too.
>
>> Downloading their content
>
> But watching/streaming/whatever you want to call it is "downloading".
>
> But I guess if we are going to just lie down like sheep and let them
> dictate, it's not worth the distinction.

It is possible that a legal argument could be made like you are saying
although I have not read the TOS so I have no idea if the distinction
between storing on your hard drive and making an ephemeral copy to
watch (i.e., streaming) is made in the contract -- I am guessing it is
-- but that is besides the point.  No one associated with the myth
project wants to do anything that skirts the issue and could cause
litigation.

You say that Big Media didn't get their way because people were
willing to push back.  It was not people; it was Sony.  Whether Sony
knew it would be sued over the betamax or not, it made the risk and
had the resources to fight the litigation all the way to the Supreme
Court.  We can be thankful that Sony did but it was not some people
led movement.  It was one deep pocket v. another deep pocket.  The
myth developers don't have the deep pockets to fight this fight even
if they wanted to and that is probably why they have repeatedly asked
for discussions that could potentially violate copyright laws and TOS
to not occur here.

The good news is that its all open source and if someone was so
inclined, they could probably modify and write scripts to their
liking.  This is just not the place to discuss that.