[mythtv-users] Ubuntu 10.04 PPA for 0.23?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri May 21 14:34:41 UTC 2010

Nick Rout wrote:
> ...Then fiddled with ownership and permission issues because user and group
> ids had changed...

I got bit by this a long time ago, and my advice is this: In the past, when
video directories had to be NFS mounted across the system so that front ends
could access them, it was *essential* that all the relevant user<->UID,
group<->GID pairs remained consistent. So, when making a fresh install on a new
box, I *always* did a clean OS installation followed by creating all users and
groups with manually specified UID and GID values before adding myth (or
anything else).

Even though storage groups does the bulk of the lifting nowadays I would still
suggest you follow this procedure. That way /you/ remain in control of what UIDs
and GIDs get assigned to what.

--

Mike Perkins