[mythtv-users] IPad and mythtv.

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri May 21 18:55:16 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 09:51:37AM -0700, Gabe Rubin wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > On Thursday 20 May 2010 10:40:09 am Scott Alfter wrote:
> >>  so that the iPhone can serve as
> >>  a "poor man's frontend" (in the sense that I already have one and don't
> >>  need to buy more hardware) for an old non-HD CRT TV.
> >
> > Interesting logic. A $500+ device can serve as a "Poor Man's" device that
> > normally can be had for $200 or less.
> >
> > But I know what you meant :-)
> >
> > Or perhaps you meant that I would be a "Poor Man" after buying an iPhone?
> >
> > I've stayed away from the iPhone since there is virtually no coverage for it
> > in my state.
> >

> Show me an all-in-one device with a touch screen and everything
> integrated that has the potential (potential being the key word) to be
> a myth frontend for around $500 or less.

   Neglecting the fact that the iPad is locked down into Steves Walled
Garden, the iPad itself has some severe limitations. Without hacks and
workarounds, it's not really suitable as a "frontend" device. If it
could do BD streaming and handle MPEG2 and divx as well then it would
be another matter.

   The shiny frontend is not quite enough.

   A liberated JooJoo probably has more potential. The newer Archos
tablets might also have some potential. An Android app might be useful
if not now than in the near future when something catches up HW wise.