[mythtv-users] IPad and mythtv.

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sun May 23 01:35:21 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 12:20:41PM +1000, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 22 May 2010 04:48, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> >
> > How are you going to play anything but limited h264?
>
> converting on the fly isn't an issue.

   That's disputable. It still takes quite a bit of horsepower and
that's just for a single SD stream. It makes a lot more sense for
the device in question to have the speciality hardware to make that
unecessary.

> That's what airvideo does, and it works brilliantly
>

> > If you stray off the reservation, the ARM doesn't seem powerful enough
> > for much else. I haven't tried on an iPad yet but the one in the 3G
> > phone is kind of gruesome. (using vlc)
>
> There's hardware acceleration available, you need to make use of it
> though, which VLC doesn't

    Yup. That's why it's gruesome. The ARM can't do much on it's own.
This is in contrast to an Atom that can at least manage MPEG2 and DIVX
on it's own.