[mythtv-users] IPad and mythtv.

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon May 24 03:03:54 UTC 2010

Hi

On 24 May 2010 12:36, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

>    An iPad doesn't meet the technical requirements of a MythTV frontend.

looks like you're the one defining what the "technical requirements
are" ... thanks for letting us now of your new role :P

> It doesn't support any of the file formats normally associated with MythTV.

This is just as meaningful as stating that the linux kernel doesn't
support any of the file formats normally associated with MythTV.

Or saying a windows PC can't play most of the files either because it
doesn't come with the required 3rd party programs.

> It's ability to support those file formats purely in software is very limited.

Really? why is that? .. Actually, don't need to answer.

Why is it so hard to consider having ffmpeg compiled on the iPad (or
any platforms for that matter) and use the hardware decoding engine
wherever you can (though, I'd assume you would only need it for h264,
which is the most technically challenging and that the iPad can do
anyway)

> Having some other box do the heavy lifting across the network is impractical
> because such a machine would likely have to forego nice things like VDPAU and
> would have to handle stuff like 1080i HD-PVR recordings strictly in software.

This makes no technical sense whatsoever... VDPAU is for playback only
and even today, isn't used by any of the mythtv backend processing
facilities whatsoever.

Less than 2 years ago, no-one considered that you would be able to
play HD-PVR videos without having at least a dual core > 3GHz either..
And even then, my 3.3GHz Core 2 Duo could barely cope.

Would be great if we could come back to a technical only conversation,
but that doesn't mean you can make up any arguments just for the sake
of it..

In the mean time, great, you think the iPad won't cut it ever, and you
won't use it...
So I guess you have nothing to contribute to this conversation anyway
and maybe you should abstain... Naysayers don't make the best company
really..

JY