[mythtv-users] IPad and mythtv.

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Mon May 24 03:46:00 UTC 2010

> I can stream converted content to my iPad using Air Video and their
> java server on my 2.4GHz C2D without seeing the CPU moving much...

Out of curiosity, what kind of numbers are you talking? I was seeing
about 70% on my E7400 (2.8GHz C2D), doing live conversion on SD mpeg2.

> Not everyone has (or care) for a HD-PVR, and the ability to play those
> has certainly never been a *must have* to make a mythtv frontend.

I absolutely agree - all my content is (and will be for the
foreseeable future) DVB-T mpeg2.

> I'm fairly confident I could wrap a native mythtv frontend on the iPad
> if I decided to do it, and without hurting the Apple T&Cs no-no...

I'm not particularly familiar with the T&C's, but off the top of my
head, I can't think of a single media player in the app store which
uses software codecs.

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2009-October/076618.html
- that's certainly interesting, though.

> even if it did, the beauty of their SDK is that I can install whatever
> I feel or wish on my own iPhone/iPad when it's for my own use...
> Not everything has to be available on their AppStore.

True, but it'd certainly be better if you could distribute it without
jumping through hoops.

- Chris