[mythtv-users] Subject: Correctly behaving 576i (or 480i) from vdpau-capable chip?

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Mon May 24 08:00:30 UTC 2010

Indulis Bernsteins wrote:

> Paul,
>
> I'd use VDPAU for deinterlacing and scaling, you're likely to get a
> better result than from the TV's upscaling.  I'd focus on getting the PC
> to TV working at 1:1 pixel mapping (ie no TV scaling involved).  Think
> about the compute power in a typical TV, compared to the processing
> power in a GPU.  If you have a really high end TV then you may have some
> significant processing power otherwise your Mythtv system will do a
> better job.
>
> VDPAU was a no-brainer to get working, nothing like XVMC.

Yeah, I may well end up using vdpau, but I want to have the 576i
option in case the TV can do a slightly better job - or not so
slight maybe.

> So, if your TV accepts 1080i at 50Hz, try to get your PC sending at that
> resolution/refresh rate.  Make sure you get 50Hz working or you will
> notice "jerky" motion durind title/credit rolls and some action
> sequences.  My stupid Sony LCD would accept not accept 50Hz via the VGA,
> but *would* accept 50Hz over HDMI!  Dumb!

My sill Panasonic wont handle 50Hz via VGA either!! But it should be
fine via HDMI. It is a 1290x1080 native resolution screen and overscan
can be turned off. You mean 1080p at 50Hz, don't you?

Cheers,
	Paul.