[mythtv-users] What's the frontend of choice these days?

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Mon May 24 12:20:50 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Richard Morton <richard.e.morton at gmail.com
> wrote:

> I looked at all the options and selected an M350 case with a ZOTAC
> ION-A board (dual-core), 2GB RAM, a fan speed adjuster, a
> SATA-CompactFlash adapter and a 16GB high performance flash card. I
> will add a bluetooth adapter and PS3 bluetooth remote soon.
>
> I am looking to get the system a little quieter with a larger
> slower/quieter fan on the CPU; but the system is quick to boot and
> plays anything the my other mythfrontends can play; inc HD.

Richard, I would be interested to hear how you plan to modify the M350 case
for a larger/slower fan.  I was hoping I could run my single-core Atom
passively-cooled, but it stutters with 1080i content after a few minutes and
I figured out it was the GPU temperature.  Since placing a supposedly quiet
40mm fan inside, the stutters are gone, but the fan[1] is too noisy.

I originally bought this case to mount on the back of my 46" LCD TV, but I'm
thinking of storing it in a closet and running an HDMI cable through the
attic.  This means I could creatively use a Dremel and cut out a hole to
top-mount a 80mm, 92mm or 120mm fan.  I like the idea of a slow-moving
Scythe 120mm fan, but it might be too big.

What do you think?

/Brian/
1.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9349/fan-582/Noiseblocker_NB-BlackSilentFan_XM1_40mmx10mm_Ultra_Quiet_Fan_-_2800_RPM_-_11_dBA.html?tl=g36c15s70