[mythtv-users] OT: cooling M350 case (was: What's the frontend of choice these days?)

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Mon May 24 18:35:30 UTC 2010

> Richard, I would be interested to hear how you plan to modify the M350 case
> for a larger/slower fan.  I was hoping I could run my single-core Atom
> passively-cooled, but it stutters with 1080i content after a few minutes and
> I figured out it was the GPU temperature.  Since placing a supposedly quiet
> 40mm fan inside, the stutters are gone, but the fan[1] is too noisy.
>
> I originally bought this case to mount on the back of my 46" LCD TV, but I'm
> thinking of storing it in a closet and running an HDMI cable through the
> attic.  This means I could creatively use a Dremel and cut out a hole to
> top-mount a 80mm, 92mm or 120mm fan.  I like the idea of a slow-moving
> Scythe 120mm fan, but it might be too big.
>
> What do you think?

Well; I am not too happy with the noise level. It looks like there is
thickness to add a much larger fan, typically these are much thicker
than the space available; but I found these:

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/92mmfans/kaze-jyu-slim-1000

just 2 mm thicker than the current standard unit.

I have also looked at axial fans (sometimes called centrifugal
fans)... but generally they are even noisier.