[mythtv-users] Maybe a slightly different usage model for Myth with DirecTV encrypted HD?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon May 24 23:57:37 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 4:52 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>> There would be value (to me) in just using Myth to start and stop the
>> DTV DVR and still let it do the recording. As the recordings are
>> encrypted HD Myth cannot do much with the data anyway (AFAIK) so I see
>> no major value in Myth storing the video vs leaving on the DVR.
>
> Why don't you want to use an HD-PVR?  You can record to your heart's
> content using the component output and have HD recordings, even for
> the encrypted channels.  Seems a lot simpler than what you are tying
> to do.

One component out vs two internal recordings.

And the DVR is free - the HD-PVR is very expensive.

And I believe the (very few) 1080p programs I can get are only
available over HDMI so the component out wouldn't work.

At least that's my thinking. I'm not negative on your question. It's a
good one. But why should I buy more hardware and spend money one
electricity every month when their hardware works and only the
software has problems?

Just my thoughts. Thanks for the question.

- Mark