[mythtv-users] Maybe a slightly different usage model for Myth with DirecTV encrypted HD?

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Tue May 25 00:06:55 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> One component out vs two internal recordings.

Right, you would need to get two HD-PVR's and 2 DTV boxes.  Added
cost, but on the other hand, you may be satisfied with just being able
to record one HD stream at a time and use another DTV to record in the
manner you used to record (I am assuming an analog capture card).

> And the DVR is free - the HD-PVR is very expensive.

No one ever said myth was the cheaper solution.  Just, in many times,
the better solution (as you are finding out with scheduling issues and
lack of remote frontends).

> And I believe the (very few) 1080p programs I can get are only
> available over HDMI so the component out wouldn't work.

This I don't know about.  I am not doubting your experience, but I
thought that component did not down-sample at this time.  Also, is
there a real difference, visually, b/t 1080p and 720p?

> At least that's my thinking. I'm not negative on your question. It's a
> good one. But why should I buy more hardware and spend money one
> electricity every month when their hardware works and only the
> software has problems?

Because it does not seem to be working the way you want it to work.
And your proposed solution seems very difficult or inelegant to
implement.  If I am understanding it correctly, it would use myth to
schedule and have myth control a separate box, telling it to start
recording now and stop recording an hour later or whenever, seems very
hackish to me.  However, I could see you creating a custom channel
changer script that would do this and pass along the correct variables
from the mythdatabase to control the box.  Just seems very weird, like
using a machete to trim your fingernails.