[mythtv-users] Maybe a slightly different usage model for Myth with DirecTV encrypted HD?

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Tue May 25 01:14:30 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 6:55 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> 2) Much, if not most, HD content is now or soon will be encrypted.
> Even SD material is already almost totally encrypted on Comcast which
> is why I dropped them.

OTA is still, and must remain unecrypted.  I use a HDHomeRun to record
all the major networks.

> 3) I've paid for this content and there's very little chance that Myth
> is _ever_ going to really help me with this problem.
> 4) I'm not well versed in the HD-PVR area but I don't believe using an
> HD-PVR solves any of the commercial flagging or streaming of encrypted
> HD content to other machines.

<snip>

> True, I have to watch the programs using their hardware, but no one
> has suggested any solution to that as far as I know, unless I'm
> misunderstanding the HD-PVR as I think I still have to watch using the
> same HD-PVR. I'm I'm a poor, out-of-work guy who's looking for a low
> cost way to be more effective than the free DRV software in the
> DirecTV box.

The Hauppauge HD-PVR has *nothing* to do with watching anything.  It
is just a capture device.  It takes the component video, muxes it with
the audio and produces H.264 which is fed to the mythbackend computer.
 All myth does is take that H.264 stream, index it (to make seeking
faster) and write it out to the hard drive.  If you want the
commercials flagged, mythbackend will happily decode the H.264 video
and try to detect where the commericals begin and end.

Each of your mythfrontend computers grab the H.264 off the mythbackend
hard drive (probably over the network), decode (decompress) it and
display on the attached TV.  Most people use an nVidia video card with
VDPAU capabilities, so the H.264 decoding can be done by the video
card instead of the system CPU.  If you have told the mythbackend
process to flag the commercials, then each mythfrontend will use that
information to skip them.

Note that VDPAU cannot (currently, if ever) be used to do the
commercial detection, so if you want that process to run in real time,
the mythbackend computer needs a potent CPU.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?