[mythtv-users] Correctly behaving 576i (or 480i) from vdpau-capable chip?

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Tue May 25 07:38:11 UTC 2010

Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> says:
>> I would still use the Advanced 2X vdpau deinterlacers and see how it
>> looks for you.. I'm sure you will be surprised.
>
> Speaking of which as a curious user of a mere 60Hz LCD panel: For
> those who use one of the VDPAU 2X deinterlacers, does attaching the
> card to a 120/240/600 (!) Hz display make a difference? Can such
> panels really improve on what Advanced 2X delivers?

I can't say with certainty yet because I don't yet have my ION board,
but I'm pretty sure that it can because I have several sources and
the 600Hz feature makes a striking difference on all of them. The
motion becomes fluid in a way that I've never seen before. My girl
friend raved about it more than I did: "How is it doing that? It's
like being there", and then when I turned it off in an attempt to
demonstrate that it was quite smooth even with out 600Hz: "TURN IT
BACK ON!!". :-)

It's not without a price. It definitely creates artefacts with
complex objects moving across a complex background, the object
can drag bits of background. The worst is a full screen pan
with a semitransparent logo on the screen. The logo can become
deformed. Most of the artefacts aren't very noticable unless you
are looking for them, and I find them worth putting up with for
the sake of the striking smoothness. I imagine others wouldn't
though.

Paul.