[mythtv-users] Maybe a slightly different usage model for Myth with DirecTV encrypted HD?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue May 25 16:23:36 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Justin Johnson
<justin.johnson3 at gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

> I think what you're trying to do here is certainly possible, and makes
> sense to me. My parents have D* and I've wondered for a while what it
> would take to get them on Myth. I've considered the HDPVR, but as you
> said it's quite expensive, and the D* DVR is quite good, especially
> compared to the cable DVRs. I don't see any reason why you couldn't
> set up a dummy tuner (actually two since the D* box has 2), add your
> D* lineup and add your recording rules. Then, modify the channel
> change script to hit 'record' after entering the channel number. I see
> this working over IR blaster. It would be weird because you couldn't
> ever set up any recording rules on the directv box, as it would
> potentially interfere with the "mythtv" recording schedule. It's an
> interesting thought though and it would be neat to see someone put
> this into practice.
>
> If the main reason you want to do this is for multi-room viewing, you
> can add that to your D* service for $3/mo if you've been using the
> beta. See: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=177590
> --Justin Johnson

Thanks Justin. That's good info and I really appreciate the link.

Yes, it would be a little strange that I'd never program a new
recording using the DVR itself. I'd only look at the list of existing
recordings to see what I want to watch. I agree that the idea might
feel sort of awkward compared to the way I currently use Myth. It's
separating the setup of recordings from the process of watching them.

On the other hand, it means I can program the DVR from any PC in my
house which is a positive. It also bypasses the whole problem of
dealing with encryption as it just leaves the recording in the
ownership of the box that recorded it.

I want to say I really appreciate the tone of your response. I'm at a
real loss as to why_ anyone_ would think I was being 'rude' asking
about something like this. It was never my intention.

Cheers,
Mark