[mythtv-users] media player management

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Tue May 25 22:44:21 UTC 2010

Hi Everyone,

I have been trying to find an application to help with the management
of my pmp (well technically its a phone).

Maybe I am alone; but I use the frontends around the house as charging
stations for my phone - phones these days need constant feeding.

When I am out and about; like at the office I listen to my music
stored on the phone. I get bored of the same music on the phone; and I
am constantly buying music to add to my already reasonably sized
collection. I want the phone to have fresh music on it constantly.

I am looking for an application that when I plug it into a PC, will
mount it; detect what it is, and using various simple rules;
selectively delete tracks and add new ones.

What I am looking for is an application that completes the following;
a little daemon that runs on each frontend and a daemon on the server.
When a device connects; it gets mounted. The daemon looks for a rules
file, read that file and then selectively delete music from the PMP
replacing the space freed up with a new track. When the frontend
daemon requests music from the server, the server is asked for a file
in a specific format (and bitrate) the file is then transcoded, passed
to the frontend daemon and copied onto the device.

in an ideal world this process would happen in conjunction with the
mythmusic database.

Does anything like this exist; and would anyone else use it?