[mythtv-users] HDPVR Crashes With Missing S/PDIF Input

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Wed May 26 17:32:28 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Kirk Bocek <kirkbocek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 7:38 AM, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 22:10 -0700, Kirk Bocek wrote:
>>
>>> After many backend reboots and power-cycling of the HDPVR I finally
>>> figured out that I had knocked out the optical S/PDIF cable
>> [...]
>>>
>>> I'm posting this because I've haven't seen this problem mentioned
>>> before.
>>
>> The HD-PVR will not work if there is no audio connected to the
>> programmed input. At least, what I know for sure is that if you are
>> using the SPDIF input and there is no optical cable connected, it
>> doesn't work. This has *definitely* been mentioned here before; I
>> encountered this problem myself about a month ago.
>
> Well it sure seems like the hardware (which is where I assume the
> problem lies) should handle this situation more gracefully. Should
> someone add a 'gotcha' warning to the wiki page?
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR

Unless someone JUST added it before I got there - please see
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR#Steps_to_Add_the_HD-PVR_as_a_Capture_Device_in_MythTV_.280.22_or_later.29

where it states: "All cables must be functional and properly attached
in order for capture to succeed with the HD-PVR."

-Johnny