[mythtv-users] Correctly behaving 576i (or 480i) from vdpau-capable chip?

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Thu May 27 10:49:06 UTC 2010

Andre wrote:
> On 27 May 2010, at 11:05, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>
>> Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> is that the LG one? they are the only ones who dare to use the word
>>> 600Hz TV AFAIK...
>>> I would still use the Advanced 2X vdpau deinterlacers and see how it
>>> looks for you.. I'm sure you will be surprised.
>> Tried it now, and it's not as good. But I don't think this is because
>> of vdpau doing any worse a job of deinterlacing than the TV. I think
>> it's a UK specific problem. As I've mentioned before, our SD TV here,
>> although it is supposed to be 50i, is effectively 25p because each
>
> It does vary depending on content but 50i is rare on SD channels, they are so short of bandwidth that dropping almost everything to 25p helps a great deal! That's why everyone complains so much about the football it's often the only thing that's not 25p!

Ah, that's why. I thought it was just somebody making a bad choice. I
hadn't considered bandwidth. QI is true 50i and the initial credits
are so smooth.

> BBC HD did a little experiment recently with the Only Fools & Horses prequel drama "Rock & Chips" this was broadcast as 25p on BBC1 and 50i on BBC HD, (ok for the pedants 576i25psf and 1080i25) read the BBC blogs for the in depth discussion but the consensus was that this was one of the best broadcasts in some years for technical quality and realistic motion.

Not sure what you are saying. Did they think that the 25p SD was good? I
can immediately tell the difference. The true 50i stuff looks so much
better to me. There's a thing with Jules Holland that I sometimes catch
the end of that's 50i.

> vdpau advanced 2x does correctly de-interlace to 50p from 50i any of the 2x de-ints should, there just isn't that much interlaced material broadcast. If you pause and single step though a seconds worth of video you will either see 25 different images or 50 depending on i or psf, usually a few frames will show it up, if you need two frame steps to see a change.

I notice it while pausing because I've used "none" and then later
"2xInterlaced" deinterlacers. With the 25p stuff, you can pause
moving scenes and not see combs. Confused the hell out of me at
first.

>> frame's pair of fields aren't time separated. That's not universally
>> true, but the majority of transmissions are like that. So playing
>> that through a unit that does the deinterlacing is, I imagine,
>> producing pairs of identical frames, and then the TV's IFG cannot
>> do anything useful with it. Whereas if the original 576i is sent
>> to the TV, although it's still got the non-time-separated fields,
>> the TV can still work out what to do with it.
>>
>> Also I imagine my whole liking of IFG is down to having crappy
>> UK 25p as the alternative. If our transmissions were true 50i
>> I'd probably prefer IFG turned off.
>
> You are going to love 1080p50, such a shame that Ofcom vetoed it's last minute inclusion in the Freeview HD spec, it will be at least another 10 years before we see any broadcast in the UK.

Having put up with 576p25 for so long, I think I'll love 1080i50 when
I have access to any.

I'd be reasonably happy if I could just get my new ION board to stick
out 576i from HDMI so I can get back to allowing IFG to smooth
out the 25p stuff.

And also happier if I could either accept that I'm not going to do
better than the posterization I'm seeing from my new TV, or find
an alternative.

> I have a recording of a Baseball game shot natively at 720p60 and although I can't stand Baseball it's great to watch due to the smooth motion. IMPO all broadcast HD should be 720p50/60 leave 1080p to bluray and 1080i should be shot at dawn, I have a 90" projector screen and would rather watch 720p50 than 1080i25, really you can't properly see the difference <50".

You watch Baseball just for the smoothness?!  You are seriously as weird
as I am - no sorry, I didn't mean that. That's a terrible thing to say
:-)

Cheers,
	Paul.