[mythtv-users] IPad and mythtv.

Phil Linttell phil.linttell at rogers.com
Thu May 27 12:33:55 UTC 2010

On 10-05-23 08:00 AM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
> Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 20:41:36 -0500
> From: jedi <jedi at mishnet.org>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] IPad and mythtv.
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

>> > You're very narrow minded here when it comes to technical solutions
>> > around what the iPad supports.
>>
>     Of course I am. I want my devices to play the stuff I already have
> lying around rather than trying to shoehorn everything to suit all of
> the limitations of Apple hardware.

>> > If you could go past your philosophical/emotional stance and stayed on
>> > a technical level it would add much more to the discussion...
>>
>     Apple's hardware is crap and is intentionally limited. There's nothing
> "emotional" about that. That's purely objective. I really don't get why you
> bother to make excuses.
>
>     The UI is interesting but the platform in general is locked down and is
> very limited in what it supports.

Maybe what mythtv needs is a streaming plug-in that can be configured to
do on-the-fly transcoding according to different mobile device screen
resolutions, available bandwidth, and codec support (and potentially
control protocols.)  There's a whole variety of mobile devices and
embedded TV front-ends these days, and it's simply not practical to do
static transcoding of all recorded content to each potential target.  In
my own house, I have Sony PSP's, Nokia smartphones, iPod Touch devices,
Android, Windows and Linux netbooks.

The iPad is just another limited device, with specific codec,
performance, bandwith, and display characteristics and represents a
current small and specialized market - one which is clearly growing,
certainly, but as it grows it will diversify dramatically, as well.

It would be a shame to invest a load of development into support for a
single device, when each one of us probably has a number of different
mobile devices capable of streaming video, but which today each have to
be uniquely supported.

There are, of course, several projects which do on-the-fly transcoding
today, such as AirVideo and various UPnP servers....  and MythWeb....
and Myth already does streaming via it's UPnP support.... perhaps we
should start with developing a list of requirements and evaluating
potential technology starting points?