[mythtv-users] IPad and mythtv.

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri May 28 09:16:35 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Daniel O'Connor <darius at dons.net.au> wrote:

> On 28/05/2010, at 3:52, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>
>> On 05/27/10 13:07, Scott Kidder wrote:
>>> The bit-rates and resolutions for small mobile devices (iPhone, Droid)
>>> are going to be different from those used with tablets (iPad) or your
>>> high-def television.
>>
>> Full sized tablets and TVs should be able to use the recordings
>> directly, without transcoding.
>
> Except an iPad can decode h264 in hardware but MPEG2 would be software, so the battery drain would be considerably more I imagine.

So can you point us to more info on this capability? The ipad
wikipedia page doesn't enlighten on what level of h.264 encoding can
be decoded in hardware. Are there any reviews of actual practical use
in this mode?

It's all very well to say  it will decode h.264 in hardware, but if we
are only talking small resolutions at low levels, it's utility is
reduced.

And some of us do live in worlds where h.264 is broadcast. So we ARE interested.

It seems that the hardware acceleration world is going towards
supporting h.264  to the exclusion of mpeg2 and the xvid/divx style
codecs. Does anyone else think that this will leave the USA as a
struggling last bastion of mpeg2 TV?