[mythtv-users] Cleaning my DB?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri May 28 16:10:16 UTC 2010

On 05/28/2010 11:34 AM, Bill Bogstad wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 05/28/2010 09:39 AM, Derek Stark wrote:
>>
>>> I'm about to move to .23. Notice how I didn't say "upgrade"? I'd like to
>>> clean a lot of things out of my database. I've got a phantom tuner, tuner
>>> IDs in the high teens,
>>>
>> This is the only thing you've mentioned that warrants cleaning up.  You can
>> clean it with
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 .
>>
> One issue that I have had with deleting tuners/video sources is that
> all of my old recordings lose
> their channel identification information.  (Admittedly this is a minor
> aesthetic issue.) The recorded table still has a chanid, but the
> channel table no longer has an entry for it.
>
>   If I'm no longer going to record using a particular tuner/video
> source, but still want old recordings to list a channel what is the
> correct way to switch to new tuners/video sources?  Should I just
> never delete video sources?   Are there potential problems with having
> unused video sources?   In particular, if no tuner is attached to a
> video source will mythfilldatabase ignore that source or do I have to
> do something else to stop downloads from occurring?

The correct way is to keep a (full) backup that includes the old channel
information.  I have a mostly-written patch for the restore script that
will fix up much of this stuff based on data in an old backup.  I just
need to get a chance to finish it.  (If you don't have the old backup,
don't worry.  It will also allow you to specify which old channel ID
relates to new channel IDs.)

So, for now, just wait.  :)

Mike