[mythtv-users] IPad and mythtv.

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri May 28 18:24:00 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 11:31 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 09:50:56AM -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> My ~3 year old core 2 quad backend has more than enough oomph to
>> transcode on the fly.
>
> ...that's assuming that you've got the 2 cores laying around waiting to service
> your devices. Most of my cores are already spoken for for some other myth related
> purpose.

Like what? All my recordings are either 'dump bitstream to disk' or
encoded by hardware, so the only cpu time really required on the
backend is for the occasional scheduler runs and mythcommflag, which
is run niced to hell and back. The only thing that really keeps my
backend box busy is the fact that its also hosts a virtual machine
that is one of the primary x86 and x86_64 builders for RPM Fusion...

>> One thing I'll note here: its a bit of a challenge to set up if you're
>> using the AirVideo Server for *Linux*. It takes about 30 seconds to
>> set up if you're using the AirVideo server for Mac OS X (and
>
>   You still need to setup format support and this isn't necessarily
> as easy as you might think.

Have you tried it? It *is* that easy. :)

> I've still got some files that don't seem
> to be supported yet. I wonder if a Linux AirVideo server will be any
> help in that regard.

The AirVideo server uses a customized ffmpeg for transcoding. If
ffmpeg doesn't support the format, the format isn't worth supporting.
;)

>    Yup. A sort of "MythTV anywhere" setup could be cool though. iDevices
> don't have much storage.

Not at the low end of the spectrum, no. But I got the 64GB iPad.

> So it's nice to be able to pull stuff from across
> the web. I already do this stuff that's in the MythTV photo gallery. I use
> modified versions of websites I already had setup for relatives.

Well, the most interesting "watch video on an iDevice" case for me is
one where I (probably) don't have any decently fast or reliable
internet connectivity -- on a plane or on a long road trip with the
family -- in which case, storing on the device itself makes a lot more
sense to me. Definitely planning to load a few shows and movies on the
iPad when my daughter and I fly back to Seattle next month.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com