[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV NOVA HD S2 sees signal but not channels
thomas at ulich.org
Fri May 28 21:01:32 UTC 2010
my Hauppauge WinTV NOVA HD S2 (DVB-S/DVB-S2; similar to HVR-4000) does not
find any channels even though MythTV reports high signal and SNR levels.
Here's my setup and what I have done so far:
- Fresh install of Ubuntu 10.04 with mythtv 0.23
- Kernel upgraded to 2.6.32-22-generic, all other upgrades done, installed
proprietary hardware driver
- 2 DVB Cards installed:
Hauppauge WinTV NOVA HD S2 - udev-fixed to /dev/dvb/adapter20
Hauppauge WinTV NOVA TD-500 - udev-fixed to /dev/dvb/adapter1
- Read http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-4000
- Downloaded firmware from (old address in URL above)
Extracted binary; cmp'd with original /lib/firmware/dvb-fe-cx24116.fw:
they are identical. dmesg tells me that:
[ 205.088404] cx24116_firmware_ondemand: Waiting for firmware upload
[ 205.088412] cx88-mpeg driver manager 0000:03:0e.2: firmware: requesting
[ 205.120411] cx24116_firmware_ondemand: Waiting for firmware
[ 210.501279] cx24116_load_firmware: FW version 18.104.22.168
[ 210.501286] cx24116_firmware_ondemand: Firmware upload complete
- Downloaded v4l driver from http://hg.kewl.org/pub/v4l-dvb-20100517
(also tried -20100130; makes no difference for me), disabled FireDTV,
compiled and installed successfully. depmod -a, reboot
- Followed instructions on http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/DVB-S to enable LNB
in the backend-setup (UNIVERSAL (Europe))
- Followed instructions on http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_ubuntu.php and set
the timeouts to rather high 30000 ms for initial DVB-S search.
- Defined two separate Video Sources, for EIT Terrestrial and EIT
- Made input connections between cards and sources.
- Scanned for channels on the terrestrial card: WORKS FINE, I can watch
- Scanned for channels on the satellite card. Again following advice from
http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_ubuntu.php, I entered the following data on
the scan page: Desired Services: TV -> Only Free: Unchecked -> Test
Decrypt: Checked -> Scan Type: Full Scan (Tuned)-> Frequency 11681000,
Pol vertical, SymRate 27500000, FEC=2/3, Mod QPSK, Inversion Auto,
Rolloff 0.35 (Astra-28.2E / Eurobird1)
- Also tried: Only Free checked, Test Decrypt unchecked, and FEC=auto, but
results are all the same.
PROBLEM: When starting the scan, I have immediately Signal 78% and SNR of
74-78%, but the scan progress bar remains at 0% for half a minute, and
then jumps to 100% while displaying a pop-up window "Failed to find any
Also, I tried to use scan and scan-s2 using option -5 (long timeouts), -l
UNIVERSAL (LNB) and correct adapter and frontend numbers together with the
Astra-28.2E and Eurobird1 config files. Nothing. Only messages "tuning
failed" and "filter timeout pid".
I have a DVB-T/DVB-S set top box (w/o harddisk) in use with the same dish,
which works just fine and can see many hundred DVB-S channels. I chose
the frequency setting above, because according to that box it's a strong
After hours of g**gling the mailing lists etc I am running out of ideas
what I could try.
Thank you very much in advance for any ideas how to go from here.
All the best,
More information about the mythtv-users