[mythtv-users] Is changing the source really necessary during LiveTV?

mythtv at derdev.com mythtv at derdev.com
Sun May 30 12:20:10 UTC 2010

I have 2 tuners as Comcast DTAs for SD.  I have 2 tuners as HDHRs for the
HD local broadcasts - signal also from Comcast.  I am using only one (1)
SchedulesDirect listing right now for both.

I'm able to watch LiveTV in SD or HD, but I must switch sources using the
LiveTV Menu which is very low WAF to have to "know" which source is
providing the channels.

What I want Myth to do is to provide a single integrated program guide and
to choose the "best", available tuner source for the program selected for
LiveTV.  In my vision of "correct", the user works from a system-wide
program guide and views available programs via the "best" available tuner
for that show.  MythTV would be configured how to make this decision.  The
users wouldn't have to know a thing about how all the hardware is tied
together.

This would allow Mythtv to deal with scheduled recordings that occupy
tuners.  It will - most importantly - deal with the current complexity of
users having to know something about inputs vs. channels.  And, this would
allow me to add 1-2 HD Comcast tuners that will provide more choice yet
more complexity concerning the "best", available tuner.

Am I an idiot for missing a key piece of the configuration?  Did I do it
backwards by having a single channel listing for multiple tuners (tuner
types)?  I think there's a key piece of misconfiguration in my current kit
since Myth cannot tell which channels are "bound" to which tuners, so maybe
I've created the problem.  HELP please.