[mythtv-users] Best way to upgrade from older Ubuntu versions w/ MythTV?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon May 31 04:52:10 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 6:05 AM, David Brieck Jr. <dbrieck at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
> I have 1 slave backend (Gutsy), one backend/frontend (Hardy) and a frontend
> system (Jaunty) and are all on 0.21 of MythTV.
> I'm thinking about bringing the older ones up to Jaunty, since that's the
> latest that runs 0.21, then bring them all up to Lucid. But on the other
> hand, I'm thinking it might be much easier to only upgrade the backend and
> then just do a clean install on the other systems since they are sooo much
> older.
> Anyone have any suggestions? I've been pretty safe to keep everything on
> older releases since Myth had such a extended release schedule, but if there
> are going to be upgrades every 6 months I will need to stay at least on an
> LTS for awhile.

I did an LTS->LTS upgrade on my backend and it wouldn't even boot
afterwards. So I put in a new (well old actually) disk and did a fresh
install of lucid on it, dropped the new database, imported the old
database, and pointed my storage group at the old recordings disk.

I had some permission errors as user/group ids had changed, but I soon
sorted it out. fstab needed sorting. probably other stuff too, but the
system is working fine now.

Frontend I also did a fresh install on, as there wasn't anything other
than the frontend and xbmc on the machine, and got a new frontend for
the bedroom at the same time, so it got a fresh install.

Basically the upgrade lTS->LTS failing made me nervous to ever do it
that way again. I had a database backup though and that worked fine. I
used the backup and restore tools that Mike Dean wrote (search the
wiki for database restore and you'll find them)