[mythtv-users] Prevent Recordings of "Live TV" from Splitting, Etc

tosds9 at gmail.com tosds9 at gmail.com
Mon May 31 18:49:33 UTC 2010

I have done my best to search the documentation, wiki, and mail list
archives, but I am a MythTV novice and I cannot determine how to use
Watch TV in MythTV 0.22.0+fixes22594-0ubuntu1 to properly record
unencrypted programs from the DVR in my Motorola DCH3416 cable box
(Comcast). My computer is running Ubuntu 9.10 (32-bit). These recordings
will be for my personal use only.

I want MythTV to record each show to one file, but MythTV is splitting
each show into separate files on the 00 and 30 of every hour. This is
based on when the content is played back, not when it was recorded. For
example, if I start playback from my cable box at 1:53 PM, text
momentarily appears on my computer screen saying "7 minutes".

Recordings are saved on my computer's internal hard drive, which is in
the Ext4 format (default in newer versions of Ubuntu). My computer has a
250 GB hard drive and Ext4 supports a maximum file size of 16 TiB. I
have tried using two channels as my MythTV default: a community college
channel (unencrypted, and one continuous slot of programming), and the
HD version of a PBS station (unencrypted, each program has its own
slot). I have also tried adjusting the UPnP Media update time to 999.
Neither the channel choice nor adjusting the UPnP setting have prevented
splitting. I am such a MythTV novice that I am afraid to adjust any of
the other settings without guidance from the MythTV community.

Help would also be appreciated regarding the following minor issues:
Watch TV saves recordings to the /var/lib/mythtv/livetv folder, but will
not save to other folders designated in mythtv-setup. All accounts on my
computer are members of the MythTV group. The connection between my
cable box and computer is stable (Broadcast), but I can't access the TV
guide except through my cable box. Is it possible to run the MythTV
frontend outside of fullscreen mode? My computer is powerful enough to
check email, browse the web, etc while recording via Watch TV.

Thanks in advance for your help!

PS: I'm new to mythtv-users. So, even though I've reviewed the
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mailing_List_etiquette page, don't hesitate
to tell me if I make an etiquette mistake.