[mythtv-users] Prevent Recordings of "Live TV" from Splitting, Etc

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon May 31 23:21:19 UTC 2010

On 05/31/2010 02:49 PM, tosds9 wrote:
> I have done my best to search the documentation, wiki, and mail list
> archives, but I am a MythTV novice and I cannot determine how to use
> Watch TV in MythTV 0.22.0+fixes22594-0ubuntu1 to properly record
> unencrypted programs from the DVR in my Motorola DCH3416 cable box
> (Comcast). My computer is running Ubuntu 9.10 (32-bit). These
> recordings will be for my personal use only.
>
> I want MythTV to record each show to one file, but MythTV is splitting
> each show into separate files on the 00 and 30 of every hour. This is
> based on when the content is played back, not when it was recorded.
> For example, if I start playback from my cable box at 1:53 PM, text
> momentarily appears on my computer screen saying "7 minutes".
>
> Recordings are saved on my computer's internal hard drive, which is in
> the Ext4 format (default in newer versions of Ubuntu). My computer has
> a 250 GB hard drive and Ext4 supports a maximum file size of 16 TiB. I
> have tried using two channels as my MythTV default: a community
> college channel (unencrypted, and one continuous slot of programming),
> and the HD version of a PBS station (unencrypted, each program has its
> own slot). I have also tried adjusting the UPnP Media update time to
> 999. Neither the channel choice nor adjusting the UPnP setting have
> prevented splitting. I am such a MythTV novice that I am afraid to
> adjust any of the other settings without guidance from the MythTV
> community.

Simple answer:  get guide data (listings information).

For a Comcast user, that would mean signing up for a 1-yr membership to
Schedules Direct and getting free program listings for that year.  You
can find more information at http://schedulesdirect.org/

> Help would also be appreciated regarding the following minor issues:
> Watch TV saves recordings to the /var/lib/mythtv/livetv folder, but
> will not save to other folders designated in mythtv-setup.

Delete the LiveTV storage group that's overriding the Default storage
group for LiveTV recordings and then LiveTV will be stored to the
Default storage group directories.  (In mythtv-setup Storage Directories
on each backend, highlight LiveTV and hit the D key to delete.)

> All accounts on my computer are members of the MythTV group. The
> connection between my cable box and computer is stable (Broadcast),
> but I can't access the TV guide except through my cable box.

Again, Schedules Direct.  :)

> Is it possible to run the MythTV frontend outside of fullscreen mode?

mythfrontend settings, Utilities/Setup|Setup|Appearance, and set GUI
size using GUI width and GUI height (and feel free to set the offsets so
it's positioned where you like).

> My computer is powerful enough to check email, browse the web, etc
> while recording via Watch TV.

And soon after you fix the above issues, you'll realize that Watch TV is
a waste of time and you'll instead learn how a DVR works--you'll start
to record not what you want to watch, but everything you /might
possibly/ ever decide to watch.  Then, you'll always have something
better to watch in your recordings than anything that's airing right
now.  :)

Note, also, that if you're just looking for some app to display whatever
drivel is currently airing on some channel and you don't plan to record
shows, MythTV may not be the application for you.

> Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> PS: I'm new to mythtv-users. So, even though I've reviewed the
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mailing_List_etiquette page, don't hesitate
> to tell me if I make an etiquette mistake.

No problems there.  And thank you for actually reading the page before
posting.

Mike