[mythtv-users] Myth and E-Books ?

Corne Beerse cbeerse at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 11:10:39 UTC 2010

On 31-10-2010 23:56, Brian Wood wrote:
> Since Myth is the "mythical" multi-media solution, I wondered if anyone is working on, thinking about or otherwise doing
> anything along the lines of integrating Ebook media into a Myth system.
>
> I've been playing with Calibre, but I keep wondering if similar functionality could be integrated into Myth. There is also
> Jutoh which, among other things, can convert Ebooks into Audiobooks, and audio is obviously something Myth should be
> involved with.
>
> Converting Ebooks for an EReader seems more or less like converting video for an iPod or a phone, at least conceptually.
>
> Other than storing Ebooks on the same machine as Myth's backend, I haven't done anything towards integration except think
> about it.
>
> Any ideas?
Just my ideas: I see e-books as media, just like movies, pictures and
music. Hence:

The backend can do its job on storage, streaming and/or conversion if
and where needed.

The frontent should be able to put the text on the screen. For a start
I'd say to follow the Teletext (vdi?) and / or guide way to put text on
screen, as that is most likely configured to  be readable for the viewer.

In the future, combinations with pictures (as background) and music
(spoken books?) can be made.

For the e-book-readers: they might be usable as frontend processor too:
Receive the media (as anyone should expect).
Be able to process other text media like the guide and/or teletext (vdi).
If these boxes are capable of streaming audio, let it do so.
If a webbrowser is available: process mythweb. otherwise, similar
functionallity.
So roughly do everything the frontend does, within the capabilities of
the system (all but watch video streams...)

For e-readers like the ipad: they should get their implementation of the
general frontend.