[mythtv-users] Need help configuring another cheap remote

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Mon Nov 1 21:11:08 UTC 2010

I have a cheap generic usb remote.  It has the typical keyboard keys plus a
built in mouse.  I mention the mouse just in case it makes a difference, but
have no desire to use it.  My mythtv is new hardware running mythbuntu
10.10.

I configured the device using the dpkg-reconfigure lirc.  Choosing the linux
input layer (/dev/input/eventX)
 option and then selecting event2. Right now I am seeing double key hits for
every key pressed.  Pressing the down arrow skips the next item.  I have
added an ignore = true for my device in
/usr/share/hal/fdi/preprobe/20thirdparty/lirc.fdi. I followed the
instructions on http://www.lirc.org/html/devinput.html.   I have verified
that lshal shows the ignore has been set.  irw only shows one keycode per
key.  At least for the down, up, left, right and enter.  I thought I had it
fixed early by removing the -r option needed for Hulu.  But it reverted back
to the same double key hit in mythtv.

I also have a problem with some of the other keys putting out two or three
keycodes when pressed.  But I think that is a different configuration issue.

Thanks,
Clifford