[mythtv-users] Myth and E-Books ?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 07:22:35 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> Since Myth is the "mythical" multi-media solution, I wondered if anyone is working on, thinking about or otherwise doing
> anything along the lines of integrating Ebook media into a Myth system.
>
> I've been playing with Calibre, but I keep wondering if similar functionality could be integrated into Myth. There is also
> Jutoh which, among other things, can convert Ebooks into Audiobooks, and audio is obviously something Myth should be
> involved with.

I have calibre installed and haven't found much to use in it yet, but
I don't have a lot of "down" time to read anything other than this
jolly list.

But I am thinking, most of the emagazines and enews you are talking
about have rss feeds. Is mythnews not meeting your needs? I know the
annoying thing is when you shell out from the summary to a web
browser, the fonts are small and the navigation difficult.

I had to read the whole thread here before I realised you are probably
looking for a newsreader, not simply an ebook reader.

Or are you? Books etc may not follow the rss mode, a true ebook would
IMHO be a pain to read from 10 feet. I like to "curl up" with a book.
I am used to books in portrait mode, scanning text is easier with a
narrower format than a 16:9 screen. (sidenote, I liked the very old
now apple monitors that would tilt between portrait and landscape.
Imagine a 60 inch TV that did that!)

But maybe the other thing that arises is that maybe calibre or similar
software could be leveraged to have a "mythtv" output format -
something easy to read on screen.