[mythtv-users] Anyone heard of a remote KVM/Display device for Mythboxes/Linux?

Corne Beerse cbeerse at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 09:48:37 UTC 2010

On 1-11-2010 21:09, Mark wrote:
> Just like many, I sometimes bork my own machine, or have hardware fail
> etc... when away from Mythtv or Linux boxes.
> Has anyone heard of a device ( Like a raritan remove console ) that
> would allow remote server admin?
> Like the ability to reboot, power off/on a box and see the console on
> boot with keyboard?
>
> Does such a device exist?  Would sure be handy.

That needs to be hardware accelerated. For server based hardware, most
suppliers have such stuff build in. For HP servers, it is called iLO: a
dedicated nic with dedicated webserver behind it to control the buttons
and console.

Next stop is dedicated kvm switches as used with any other pc.
Unfortunately these boxes 'only' control the keyboard, mouse and video.
Most os-es can do a poweroff and some devices can be configured to boot
on a network signal.

CBee.