[mythtv-users] mythbackend crashes every 6-7 hours

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 20:25:24 UTC 2010

> I find this interesting given that the kernel has protections against
> dereferencing circular symbolic links endlessly.  There is even an errno
> for it (ELOOP).

That's irrelevant.  It all has to do with how directory scanning is
implemented.

> I find it difficult to imagine that the kernel following circular
> symbolic links, with it's "too many links" protection built-in was
> causing so much memory use, so I have to assume that libqt or myth was
> in fact doing the symbolic link deferencing.  Was that the case?

Of course our code was doing it.  That code is slated to be
potentially removed anyways after 0.24, so I'm not going to lose much
sleep over it.  Just don't put loops in your video filesystem that
gets scanned, or you are asking for issues.

> In that light, if my assumptions are correct, I'd call this one a bug.

Go ahead and call it a bug.  But the workaround for now is to not have
silly choices in your use of your filesystem. :)